Saturday, October 20, 2012

More Great News

I followed up some of my email requests for help with phone calls on Friday.  I'm sure glad I did.  First off, I was ordering some parts from Vortex Racing for my race bike -- I had sent Casey a link to the blog site, mainly for his own interest as Vortex doesn't make stuff for vintage bikes.  However, he thought it was cool and is sending a bunch of shirts my way for the students to have -- a pretty cool treat for the kids.  Check out www.vortexracing.com-- cool stuff for your "more modern" bikes!
Secondly I gave Robert Ward, owner of Omar's DTR a call.  I was asking about his recommendations for a cafe seat for our project.  When all was said and done, he's agreed to donate one of his Manx seats to our cause!  This is incredibly generous and (almost) left me speechless.  It turns out his family has a connection to public education and it has really paid off in our favor.  This has really helped our "bottom line"; as you can see our costs have already passed the $2000 mark, with a few more pricey bits left to purchase.  A picture of the seat is to the left -- again, be sure to visit Omar's website -- his parts are considered to be the best in the business for cafe racers or street track replicas.
After work on Friday I took the fuel tank down to Cycleboyz in Brandon.  They will be welding in a cool low-profile fuel cap into the stock tank.  Chatting over some options with the guys, I really think we found a solution that should look pretty neat.  After that, the inside of the tank will need to be stripped and sealed, and then it will be ready to install for trial running.  I'll have to be patient regarding the paint!
I took a trip down south to Rolla, ND to pick up a bunch of parts for the project I bought on eBay. These items are used, and saved us a fortune over buying new.  There were some shipping and import duties I had to pay, but again, much cheaper in the end.  I've learned over the years that often US-based carriers, such as UPS, tack on a brokerage fee as well as customs duties.  Despite the gas costs, this is a cheaper way to go.
The next session will see us installing the new forks and front end parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment